Hi! My name is Dominique Joelle Davis and I love to write on things! I’m so glad you found my website and are interested in my art. Maybe you’ve seen a little on Instagram or Facebook or Etsy. Let me tell you a little about me! I hope I get to know you soon, too.
I’m a transplant from the Midwest, but I grew up skipping stones in Puget Sound and sketching out Mount Rainier’s silhouette in my school notebooks. The Pacific Northwest is dear to my heart and will always be home to me, my hubby Ryan, and our energetic Australian Cattle Dog, Blewett.
Chalk Artistry & Design blossomed out of my desire to create chalk design yet have some versatility in my art to explore other mediums. After pencil sketches, watercolor is my first love. I was introduced to this medium in high school by a dear friend and neighbor, Sallie Patterson, who taught me the basics and encouraged my growth in mixing color, discovering depth, and bringing light – both literally and figuratively – into my art.
Working part time at Starbucks for almost ten years enabled me to work closely with chalk pens, though I still enjoy the soft crackle of chalk on a surface. I have had good experiences with both. Chalk pens interact much like watercolor on a surface and after years of practicing at the cafe, my first new venture into chalk art was through my sister’s wedding in 2011 (thank you, Liz!). I’ve never looked back.
Through my business, I want to glorify my first love, my Savior and King, Jesus Christ. My desire is to glorify Him through my creativity. In order to remind myself of this truth, I have etched my craft table with that quote! Everyone needs reminders, right?! Secondly, I hope to continue to pursue pretty things – to capture details through purposeful shading & discovering fresh vibrant ways of communicating ideas.
– After earning a Bachelor’s of Art in English from University of Washington in 2010, I went on to gain a Teaching Certification, Single Subject (English) in 2011 from Master’s College in California.
– Married my best friend and love, Ryan Davis, in June 2013.
– I got my start lettering with chalk pens in 2006 with Starbucks.
– When I’m not lettering & designing, you can find me singing at church or day hiking around the Pacific Northwest.
– I love creating wedding signage.
– I letter my grocery list.
– Custom designs are my favorite!